I love that Paul recognizes that God made the earth and everything in it. He proves this belief with his “why” questions. (Yes, we’re back on the why questions.)
Paul: “Why does God make us itch?”
Me: Why do we itch? Doesn't scratching just tear up the skin? Think, think! “Well, uh, I’m not sure. Maybe He makes us itch so we’ll know when there’s a bug on us and scratch it off. Why do you think…”
Paul: Cutting me off, “Why did God make bugs?”
Me: Easier. I can handle this one. “Well, bugs are helpful. They eat trash and dead things and bees make honey and butterflies are pretty.”
Paul: “And frogs eat bugs.”
Me: Alright, he's working with me now. “Yes. God probably made bugs so frogs would have something to eat.”
Paul: “Did you know bees have a thing on the tree where they eat honey?”
Me: “A beehive?”
Paul: Motioning with his hands, “A thing where they eat the honey.”
Me: I recognize that motion from a book. “Like in the Berenstain Bears Big Honey Hunt?”
We talked on and on. These conversations with Paul are so precious to me I wish I could record every one. Sometimes he’ll tell me about his day or about a cartoon he watched. I picked him up after work recently and he talked for at least 5 minutes straight with no input from me. It’s not that I didn’t want to comment. I had no opportunity. He is his father’s son, and I love him for it.
1 comment:
Paul is definitely one of my favorite people to talk to. Or listen to, as you well know.
Post a Comment