Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Memories of Lola Mae, Part 1

My mother's cousin sent me a notebook containing the genealogical research she and her father completed. In addition to searching library records, courthouse records and cemeteries, she's interviewed family members and written her own memories. She inspired me to write down my memories of my grandmother.

My Memories of Lola Mae

My grandmother told me I was her favorite grandchild. I knew she didn't really have a favorite, but I was the youngest by at least 15 years, so I didn’t have any competition in the cuteness category. Some of her great-grandchildren were closer to my age, but we weren’t comparing grand to great-grand. Honestly, we were very close. I spent a week or two at her house in Avery every summer and she came to visit us in Arlington or we visited her every 6 weeks or so.

When she died, I asked for her bible because the thing that most impressed me about her was her devotion to the Lord. She was a member of the Avery Missionary Baptist Church and was there every time the doors were open, Lord willing. She was Sister Carey to her fellow members. I always thought it was strange that her friends called her Mrs. Carey. They were from another generation. I work to have my kids at least add “Ms” and “Mr” before my friends’ first names today.

She didn’t just attend church. She knew the bible, told me stories and asked strangers in stores if they were going to heaven. At some point in each of her visits to our house in the city she would say, “All those cars. I wonder how many of those people driving are saved.” I think one of her favorite bible passages was John 14:2 “In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.” I remember her telling me Jesus said he’s preparing a place for us in heaven. She taught me John 3:16, and I remember she had a drawing of a brown-haired, bearded Jesus with Revelation 3:20 written on it: “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” These verses always remind me of her, as does King James Version of any verse. She sometimes spoke in KJV. One year I went on choir tour with my church, and Grandma sent me a letter while I was gone signed, “I love ye.” Our song was “Washed in the Blood.” I don’t remember why it was our song, but it was and she was always happy to sing along anytime I asked.

No comments: