Friday, June 11, 2010

Thoughts on T-Ball

Paul is so strong and so intelligent, I think he'll be a great athlete. He's playing T-ball this season and his favorite parts are, "the dugout and batting." So, he likes to bat and goof off with his friends. Fair enough.

Tonight was the first game of a tournament, and I thought I'd come up with a plan to help him stay focused. I offered him a bribe; if he watched the ball and didn't play in the dirt, I would pay him $5. He refused my bribe. I choose to believe he's just that ethical and wants to keep the game clean.

He didn't play in the dirt and did a good job, though his team lost. He did his best to watch the ball, but baseball just doesn't seem to inspire him - yet. I have hope that he will learn to love it and not be completely miserable, as I remember feeling playing softball. I'm glad I played softball; at least I understand the basics and can play a fun game if the opportunity arises. Hmm, on the same premise, maybe he needs to take piano lessons...

Just as an aside, Paul asked me, "why are you chuckling?" The question made me chuckle more because I liked his choice of words.

No comments: