Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Happy Birthday, Papaw!

Today is my dad's birthday. I got him a little gift and had him over for dinner. It's sad to me that I don't get to make a cake. For medical reasons, he doesn't eat sweets. No sweets means no birthday cake or even a nibble of a Christmas or Thanksgiving treat. He has more willpower for that sort of thing than I would. We had salmon with a black bean and corn relish, broccoli, brown rice, and bread. Healthy. Mostly. The boys entertained us, and oh yeah, the gift.

The boys and I went out looking for a hat for Papaw's birthday. For medical reasons, he has to stay out of the sun. A hat is a necessity and a thoughtful gift idea. I couldn't find one that suited me, or that I thought suited him. Noticing the clothing with extra SPF, I picked a nice polo-style shirt, but it's the same one I've given him before. When did I realize this? When he showed up at my door wearing it.

Does anyone have good dad gift ideas? I'm obviously out.

No comments: