Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Paul Gets "One More Story"

After reading the usual two bedtime stories to Paul tonight, I told him it was time to say a prayer. He protested and asked me to read “one more story.” I read from The Bible Story tonight and find it difficult to deny the child Bible stories. So I bribed him. I usually ask him what he wants to pray about and I say the prayer because he refuses to say it. I told him that if he would say the prayer, I would read one more story.

I’ve never heard a sweeter prayer. It went something like this: “Dear God, thank you for mommies and daddies. Thank you for grandpas and grandfathers. Thank you for…thank you for grandmas and grandmothers. Thank you for my family. Thank you for Alec. Jesus name. Amen.” It started out like a prayer he might have heard earlier tonight in his class at prayer meeting, but I think the family and his friend Alec was from his own heart.

I told him that definitely deserved another story and continued in the book to the one about Jacob’s ladder.

No comments: