Monday, June 30, 2008

Just Stick Him Out Back

Timothy woke happily from his nap, as he usually does. He became angry when I lifted him from his crib and would not be consoled. I placed his milk on his dresser so that he could get it himself, but he just threw it down. I tried warming his milk, but still he cried. I asked Paul if he had any thoughts on why little brother was so upset. Paul thought Tim needed a snack. No, he didn’t want graham crackers. He didn’t want to be held; he didn’t want to be on the sofa or chair or bed or floor. He was too sad to even point to what he wanted.

“Paul, do you have any other ideas?”

“He wants to go outside. Just stick him out back.”

“Do you want to come out with us?”

“No.”

A minute later, TJ walked around happily exploring out back while I sat in a lawn chair on the porch. Then he sat in my lap and peacefully drank his milk. Eventually, big brother joined us and we discussed bugs and dinner.

No comments: