Monday, November 2, 2015

Gertie the Evil Genius

Our basset hound, Gertie, is a mostly very chill dog.  She likes to sleep.  She's careful to let us know when someone is at the door and greets us with a "haloooo" when we come home.  She mostly likes to relax.  She seems to be a very simple creature.
I think she had me fooled.

The morning after Halloween, we woke to find TJ's candy had been raided and spread all over the living room floor.  I gave TJ the little bit remaining in his bag and swept up everything on the floor.  TJ sadly commented that he thought he'd had more candy.  I advised him to put what was left out of Gertie's reach.

Later that afternoon, we found Gertie tangled up in TJ's candy bag.  He had not put it away.  Grrr.  I've also lectured TJ on the importance of keeping his toothbrush away from the toilet and soap dispenser by the bathroom sink (among other things), but he doesn't listen.  Now he's brushing with a contaminated toothbrush and the dog is eating chocolate.  I pray they both survive!

Monday (two days after Halloween) I notice that Gertie has not eaten her food.  Mid-morning, I find her settling down in her bed with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.  What is this???  Reese's are MY FAVORITE, and oh yeah, the dog can't eat chocolate!  I take it away and with a tortured sigh, toss it in the trash.  

Now where did she get the Reese's?  If there had been one sitting around, I would have eaten it by now.  Hmm...  She couldn't have hidden away little bits of candy for later, could she?

An hour later, the dog is sick on the wood floor.  Yep, I'm pretty sure she's still eating candy.

When TJ comes home from school, he searches the backyard and finds stashes of Halloween candy.  I'm on to you now, Gertie.  I know you are not so simple, but full of plans to hide and eat all the food.  

1 comment:

Amina said...

Çant comment. Cant breathe. Laughing too hard!!q