Thursday, September 19, 2013

We Still Only Sit On Our Own Bottom

Driving home from baseball practice last night, this is a snippet from a conversation I had with Paul...

Me: Paul, that's one of the things I love about you.  There are lots of things I love about you; this is just one.

Paul: Mom, you love everything about me.

I'm glad he's sure of my love for him, but does he need to learn humility?  Maybe, but not from me.

Quotes from www.goodreads.com on humility:

“If anyone tells you that a certain person speaks ill of you, do not make excuses about what is said of you but answer, "He was ignorant of my other faults, else he would not have mentioned these alone.” 
 Epictetus

“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.” 
 Michel de MontaigneThe Complete Essays

“The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.” 
 Winston Churchill

“True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.” 
 Rick WarrenThe Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?

1 comment:

Amina said...

Of these 4 quotes, I agree with your choice. However, Churchill's has some merit.