Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pine Cove

Paul and I went to Pine Cove Mother-Son Camp with some friends.  There was so much to do, we had an amazing time.  Friday night we checked in, got set up and checked the camp out.  Paul did the "Breathtaker," which is a swing requiring a harness.  They hooked him in, then pulled him back and up until he said he was "high enough," then let him swing.  It looked like breathtaking fun.
Paul is being pulled back into the trees on the Breathtaker
Friday night we had a fajita dinner and a club session, which is singing and Bible study and more fun.  After that was "Pitch Black Attack."  We formed teams with our cabin mates and had to follow clues to four different areas of the campground in the dark.  The posse would be waiting to catch us and send us back to start unless we had a good reason for being out in the woods in the dark.  We were geocachers following coordinates and did well with the posse.  We did not win, but got the best creative score.
Paul is prepared for Pitch Black Attack
After breakfast and a Bible lesson on Saturday, we did a mom-son devotional.  Paul is truly awesome.  The devotional opened with "How do we know God is real?"  Paul looked at me like I must be slow and answered, "because He made everything."  I asked if anyone had ever suggested to him that the world just came into being on its own and God doesn't exist.  "No."  I hope his faith remains so unshakable.  As we proceeded, he told me about the many mansions prepared in heaven and other scriptural examples I had no idea he'd absorbed.  I am really impressed by this boy.
Making paper airplanes
The camp prepared a picnic lunch for each mom and son.  After we ate, we had an afternoon of free time.  We made it through the Gauntlet, practiced shooting BB guns and archery, rode horses, played laser tag and played at the playground.

Paul climbs the pole to begin the Gauntlet
Gauntlet: walking the log high in the air
Gauntlet: crossing the high wire

Gauntlet: zipline
Shooting range
Archery: he's retrieving his arrows
We used coffee filters under our helmets

There's always time to play with a caterpillar
Paul rides Marge
Laser tag
Winning the round of laser tag
Tetherball air
Pine Cove style swing
We had great friends in our cabin to share the weekend.  This is a trip to take again!

Paul, Reese, Jude and Alec

1 comment:

Amina said...

What a great bonding weekend. I think Paul has a new appreciation for you.