Monday, August 29, 2011

LOST

Paul is not a shopper. He whines, he bargains, he grouches. He hasn't tried Coker's usual response: sighing. Paul has not given up the fight against the (evil in his estimation, glorious in mine) necessity of shopping.

On Paul's first day of first grade, I realized he has outgrown many of his "nice" summer shirts. He likes to be comfortable and would be happy to wear sleeveless shirts and elastic-waisted shorts everyday. Who wouldn't? Well, I would if I could look good wearing that stuff. There's the difference between us.

I picked out a polo-style shirt and shorts for his first day. He groaned. He picked out an old t-shirt and shorts for the second day. I groaned. We needed more options. Da-da-da-da! Shopping! Paul groaned. Then he whined, bargained and grouched.

Paul did a great job shopping, even though I really dragged him around. Most stores are out of short-sleeved options. To get him to the mall, I promised a cookie. After the shopping was successfully completed and the cookies were eaten, I wanted to stop in one store for me. I gave Paul my iphone and began looking.

As I moved to the next rack, I nudged Paul and directed the game-playing zombie to follow me. Once I finished there, I looked for Paul to nudge him again, but he was nowhere to be found. I searched the small store twice, calling his name, looking under tables and in the dressing area. No Paul. Where was he? No one could easily "take" him. He's so heavy and stubborn. Could someone take him?

I ran out to the mall, searching. No Paul ahead. No Paul to the left. No...about four stores down, in the middle of the mall stood a little boy playing on an iphone. My iphone. MY LITTLE BOY.

"What are you doing out here?"

"Playing on your iphone."

"Why aren't you in the store?"

"What store?"

"That one. Where I was. Where you were supposed to stay. Why did you leave?"

"You said 'let's go.'"

"But why didn't you stick with me? Why are you out here? What did you think you were doing all by yourself?

"I thought I was lost."

He wasn't worried. He was just playing games on my iphone waiting for me to find him. He did look very small standing out there by himself, but unconcerned. I hope I can deserve the faith he has in me.

No comments: