Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Little Cilantro

Coker and I love watching Top Chef. We imagine that we can cook and Coker has tried a few of the recipes. I can follow a recipe, but my outcome isn't always what I'd hoped. The contestants on the show throw ingredients together and create fancy new dishes.

One of the challenges tonight was an amuse buche, which could be anything. Coker asked what I would make, to which I responded, "for whom am I cooking?" (Well, not exactly. I'm writing here, not talking.) If I were to cook the ultimate one bite for Coker, it would have to include bacon. I named off the ingredients I would use: toast, bacon, egg, Tabasco. Coker said it would need to be rye toast with butter and strawberry jelly, and don't forget the salt. Otherwise, my choice would be the best bite he'd ever had.

Listening to all this and talking at the same time, we realized Paul wanted a turn. His amuse buche would be, "a little cilantro, a snail (the first ingredient the chefs had to use), and a cracker." He would "make" Coker eat it, because of the snail.

1 comment:

Amina said...

You can follow a recipe, but the "result is not always what I hoped". I have never, ever eaten anything you cooked that was not super delicious. I will even eat your egg dishes. You are a GREAT cook. No more "I can follow a recipe" stuff!