Don't be surprised if one day my younger son swings into the room on a vine yelling a perfect Carol Burnett "aaahhh-ahhh." To get a turn at whatever, he simply says "me" and pats his chest like Tarzan. As Paul played with foam soap in the tub, TJ would remind big brother, "me" and add a chest pat for emphasis.
I know TJ can't possibly get as much attention as I heaped on Paul at 18 months. I have to ask myself if he's worse off for being the little brother. He can't count or recognize any letters like Paul could at this age, and I'm hoping that won't make him a dunce in school. However, he understands just about everything I say to him, although he pretends either not to hear me or not to speak the language when I ask him to do something he doesn't want to do. Unlike Paul, TJ sleeps so well in his crib. I wonder if it's partly because I couldn't rush in every time he whimpered, being occupied trying to get Paul to go to sleep. There are a million comparisons I've made, and there are positives and negatives on both sides of the sibling equation. Even if it turns out imbalanced, I hope my boys will be happier for having had a brother.
That written, TJ is brilliant despite his lack of maternal attention. Incredibly sweet and handsome, too.
1 comment:
How about this thought? Paul was in daycare in his early months and sick quite a bit. TJ gets to stay home with Mama at least three days of the normal workweek. If Mama is working, Teresa or Kristen come to TJ's house. TJ is brillant, funny, happy, handsome and articulate. I love both boys partly because of their personality differences. I adored my big brother, although I don't think he liked me very much. Likewise, I think TJ adores Paul and eventually Paul will decide it is wonderful to have a brother.
Post a Comment